Wednesday, 18 December 2013

Simplicity 9915- A Trip Down Memory lane.



Standing in front of our new rammed earth wall in our straw bale/ rammed earth home !

My favourite project of the year has been this little white top.
I was given this white/ off white seersucker . I had 1.5 metres ( 1.6 yards )  but is was only 90 cm ( 35 inches ) wide . I initially wanted to make a top along the lines of Louise Cutting`s Ebb design. In my dreams ! I was really short of fabric . Then I tried Simplicity 5683 because I have made it twice before and it doesn`t take much fabric. Again I was way off the mark. I was getting a bit desperate now because I had also set my heart on using  these 4 vintage buttons which in my mind matched my vintage fabric perfectly  .
So it was quite fitting that I found this vintage pattern which matched my fabric allowance .


 Simplicity 9915 - It is dated 1981 and dusting off my memories this is the third pattern I ever sewed . And it is also the most made pattern I own ( apart from PJs ) . I love this pattern but it has been well and truly over a decade since I visited it. I think I have made it at least 8 times using all views in fabrics from pink butterflies, black and white gingham , coloured dotted swiss cotton , terracotta silk and taupe dots.
Once I made the little bow tie version in fabric that Princess Diana had a shirt from ( hers was black and white and mine was red but it was the exact same pattern ! )


photo courtesy  from Diana`s jewels website  - photo taken in 1983.

This is also my best sewn version of this particular view. According to the pattern description it has a funnel neck line and shoulder tucks and getting those right was tricky- the shoulder tucks are adjacent to the neck line . Apart from that the top is simple . The big difference this time ( apart from 20-30 years literally ! ) was thread tracing the shoulder tuck marks . This then allowed absolute sewing accuracy and everything came together really nicely . Because there has been a fair bit of chocolate , cakes and three children since my teenage years I also  did not add the waist darts ! The top has simple dropped shoulders and has just the right amount of ease.

A close up of the neckline, shoulder tucks  , fantastic textured seersucker and my vintage buttons. 
 This top will go with just about everything and since my favourite handsewn  white tunic has bitten the dust this is a much needed replacement . I have worn it several times already and my friend`s daughter commented that it was just like a burda style pattern she had recently downloaded .
Have a good day , Janine.

7 comments:

  1. A very cute top. Will be great for the warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely - seersucker is such a summery fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully made. A lovely top to wear in hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I am extremely pleased with it and it is proving to be very cool in our sudden mini heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sort of neckline and shoulder has come back again. Nice top for a summer heatwave.
    p.s How fabulous to have a rammed earth house! Do you have veggies/chooks/ the whole bit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just reviewing my pattern stash this evening for a little collarless buttoned blouse like this, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I agree with your friend's daughter. When I looked at the photo, I thought it was from Burda March 2011 (I think, I could be wrong). It also has tucks near the neckline and a funnel type neck, but I prefer the sleeves on this one. Love it. Like the rammed earth house too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate the time you take to leave a comment.