Tuesday 23 December 2014

Issey Miyake Maxi Skirt -Vogue 2796

 I bought this pattern on the strength of the many glowing reports on Pattern Review many many years ago and only now finally making it up for me. The main issue was really finding a suitable fabric so when I saw this denim look knit at Darn Cheap I knew it was the one ( bonus it was on the $2.00 table as well )
I have a uniform of sorts . I prefer separates and mainly wear plain bottoms with a patterned top , less commonly a patterned bottom with a plain top and even less frequently dresses or completely plain separates worn together. So I was basically looking for a plain knit but with some  interest to it. This knit is in denim blue with silver grey threads in it.
The pattern itself is rather conservative for this designer but despite its simplicity it has some lovely style lines with a curved side front and back. It is hard to see but I top stitched along this curved seam with some silvery grey embroidery thread .This pattern is very easy to make especially if you ignore some of the instructions ! I did not add the waist band or zip. Sewing is meant to be a stress buster not a stress creator and I can imagine adding a zip in knit fabric would  be crazy . It's just not necessary anyway - the skirt stretches over my hips easily enough .
With its maxi length and swishy curved sides I feel just a bit trendy wearing this one and think I  will pull it out for Xmas Day - the stretchy waist band will be rather handy as well ;) .
Happy Sewing Janine

6 comments:

  1. I think some of the older patterns are still very wearable - this one being a case in point. This is a lovely line of skirt - making me wish the pattern was still available :)

    I agree zip not needed - it may be needed in a stable knit perhaps, but in one that is quite stretchy, as you say, trouble...

    Do have a lovely, relaxing Christmas, best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou SarahLiz. I am looking forward to having a few days off and spending time with my family. My oldest daughter is home and my husband seems finally finished with all his election duties . I have cooked all my cakes , wrapped the pressies so now I can relax including sewing some shorts for my youngest daughter ( and perhaps encourage her sewing as well ) have a merry Xmas and best wishes to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Valerie. I'm pretty happy with it. Merry Xmas to you and your family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great skirt! Why do they include the zipper in these patterns? So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty skirt and top! I've never seen it before, just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made both the top and skirt of this pattern when it came out. They are still in my closet and still very wearable today. The skirt is a great design, easy to sew and easy to wear. Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.