Sunday 28 December 2014

Vintage Simplicity 9497 - White and Navy Spotty Dress.


Simplicity 9497 80 a






I sewed this pattern a few years ago  but at the time of cutting out my fabric I wasn't  quite sure if it was home dec or dress fabric. Well after a few wears and washes I realized it was definitely home dec stuff. I mean if the large roses and flowers which looked like my great aunt's couch weren't a giveaway the scratchy feel which did not improve with washing made it a certainty . But the fabric was so pretty - lemon background with large various pink roses and I got lots of positive comments too! But they didn't have to  wear it so out the dress  went . But I loved the pattern so out it came out  again with fabric that was definitely of the dress variety this time. 




 This is one of the few patterns where I think the dress made up looks better than the pattern cover photo . 
On hanging this up in my wardrobe when finished I realized that out of my five summer work dresses three are basically the same variation - 1/2 shirt waister dresses with notched collars . This one has dropped shoulders , the sleeves are cuffed and the bodice is slightly gathered and attached to a yoke but otherwise very similar to Simplicity 2923.My other 2 summer work dresses are wrap styles made of knit . So there I am in a style rut . I'm not making any resolutions sewing or otherwise for 2015 but I think I will at least try another dress style next year.
I have one other completed make to blog about and am currently sewing some shorts for my daughter as well . Then I will tackle my ` coffee` twin set I recently posted about  and see what I can do with that. After that I have no  projects planned so can start  afresh .
Hope everyone had a great Christmas and is well.
Cheers Janine.

6 comments:

  1. Janine, you have been doing quite a bit of sewing lately. This is a very nice dress which will be more comfortable to wear than the 'upholstery' one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress. I love the style on you, I love the navy and white dot fabric which is really great. I love it. I think it can be a great work dress or a great casual dress depending on what you accessorise with. It does look better than the envelope! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great pattern - it looks great on you. And I agree it looks so much better than the pattern envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a timeless pattern and the spots are perfect for this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janine, thank you for your comment about the sashiko cushion. It was all hand stitched following a stencil outline which made it easy to have even stitches. I am hoping to get some sewing done over January and reduce my fabric stash. Wishing you and your family all the very best for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous dress - I've very partial to shirtwaisters and polka dots though, I have to admit. This one does suit you. Shirtwaisters are a good solution to work wear, but I can understand you wanting to explore other ideas - good luck :)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.